Chief Innovation Officer
Owl Cyber Defense, January 2020 – Present
Leading innovation, new commercial product strategy, and building a resilient partner ecosystem. Working with industry experts to develop novel new embedded hardware-enforced security solutions that provide protocol and application-level enforcement built on modern FPGA architectures for Industrial IoT, Smart City, and and Critical Infrastructure use-cases.
Chief Technology Officer
Owl Cyber Defense, May 2019 – January 2020
Leveraging advanced technology coupled with customer insight to achieve growth and product differentiation in new and current markets. Owl is the market leader in secure, hardware enforced one-way data transfer technology currently used in military, intelligence, and critical infrastructure applications. We are developing new technologies to dramatically extend the range of environments and use-cases where deterministic one-way data flow can be applied while working directly with customers and partners to address new market opportunities.
Director, Business Development
Owl Cyber Defense, July 2018 – October 2019
Responsible for defining and executing a growth strategy focused on new market opportunities. .
- Lead a team of 5 business development managers focused on growth opportunities in new markets including Healthcare, Financial Services, Manufacturing, and Transportation.
- Identified and developed new partnership opportunities to facilitate growth in new markets.
- Defined the future technology strategy and investment priorities needed to support continued growth and competitive differentiation.
- Member of the core management team that manages all aspects of the business.
Senior Director, Strategic Technology and V2X Product Manager
ESCRYPT Canada, April 2017 – June 2018
ESCRYPT Canada is a division of Robert Bosch GmbH which develops advanced security solutions. The Canadian office provides all new product development in North America for the division. As the Senior Director of Strategic Technology I am responsible for defining the technology strategy and working directly with the management team to execute against that plan and establishing a beachhead in new markets. As Product Manager for V2X solutions, I am directly accountable for defining a new connected vehicle security platform and leading the development, marketing and sales teams to deliver on an aggressive revenue target in a rapidly evolving market. Responsible for defining the technology strategy for North American development of security solutions with a regional target to grow revenue by $10M over 3 years.
- Defined the technology priorities for entry into the Smart City and IoT markets.
- Product Manager responsible for connected vehicle security solutions including in-vehicle embedded software and back-office certificate management infrastructure.
- Launched a new Intrusion Detection product for identifying and tracking automotive intrusion events. Presented and demonstrated this solution to global automotive manufacturers.
- Accountable for managing the North American patent portfolio and IP strategy.
- Secured and managed government contracts and matching funds in excess of $500K.
- Reporting to the General Manager, North America.
Vice President, Strategic Technology
TrustPoint Innovation, November 2015 – March 2017
TrustPoint Innovation was a technology startup with expertise in Elliptic Curve Public Key Cryptography. As VP of Strategic Technology, I developed the company’s product development and patent strategy. I also acted as a direct consultant and subject matter expert on connected-vehicle technology for the USDOT and Transport Canada. TrustPoint Innovation was acquired by ESCRYPT in March, 2017. I was identified as a key employee in that transaction.
- Implemented a product strategy focused on a connected vehicle security platform.
- Defined product differentiators and market entry strategy for two connected vehicle products.
- Managed the development team that created the technical implementation and first demonstration platform, presented to leading automotive manufacturers and suppliers.
- Delivered consulting services as subject matter expert and technical adviser to the USDOT and Transport Canada for connected-vehicle security infrastructure. Author of multiple sections of the USDOT Security Credential Management System (SCMS) 1.2 specification.
- Secured and managed government contracts and matching funds in excess of $400K.
- Reported to the CEO.
Senior Director, New Business Opportunities
Pitney Bowes, November 2008 – October 2015
The New Business Opportunities (NBO) program was a new business incubator focused on identifying and supporting growth opportunities within the existing business units. I was invited to re-join Pitney Bowes specifically to launch and manage the NBO program. I created and managed a portfolio of projects and reported results directly to the CEO and business unit leadership on growth opportunities. I was also directly responsible for the launch of a spin-out company that was focused on leveraging advanced security technology in the health care market. Created and managed the New Business Opportunities program, an internal incubator that launched new businesses which today account for over $150M in annual revenue.
- Introduced market-driven, client-focused metrics and hypothesis testing practices for innovation.
- Launched SecLingua, a health care spin-out focused on applying proprietary security technology to deliver advanced connected medical device security. Raised $0.5M in seed funding and delivered a working prototype, used with live patent data at a regional care facility.
- Reported to the VP of Corporate Strategy.
Vice President, Technology & Strategy
SyferLock Technology, February 2008 – October 2008
SyferLock was a technology startup company focused on a innovative user authentication technology to augment conventional passwords. As VP of Technology & Strategy I was responsible for near-term product definition and market entry approach as well as long-term technology strategy for advanced authentication solutions.
- Defined and launched an SSL VPN authentication product and managed the launch of a Windows login client. These products produced the company’s first revenue.
- Developed key technical and marketing partnership relationships to expand the company’s technical capabilities and market reach.
- Worked directly with clients, defined requirements, designed and delivered custom solutions.
- Reported to the CEO.
Sr. Director, Business Development and Strategy
Pitney Bowes Management Services, January 2007 – February 2008
Pitney Bowes Management Services (PBMS) was a $1B division of Pitney Bowes, focused on delivering on-site managed services. I was invited to join the division to support the development of a growth strategy focused on document management solutions.
- Defined and launched a suite of document management services for the insurance and financial services vertical markets. Solutions focused on incoming document processing.
- Created a marketing program and sales training material that bridged existing capabilities and facilitated entry into higher-value services in the insurance and financial markets.
- Participated directly in the identification and evaluation of business acquisitions opportunities.
- Authored a strategic plan and business model for document management solutions for federal government applications, focusing on expediting Freedom of Information Act (FoIA) processing.
- Member of the Strategic Marketing team, reported to the VP of Marketing.
Director, Concept Studio
Pitney Bowes, Advanced Concepts & Technology, August 2000 – January 2007
The Concept Studio was an innovation function within the R&D labs at Pitney Bowes. I launched, staffed, and managed this user-centered design function with an emphasis on developing concepts for targeted growth in strategic markets.
- Assembled and managed a multi-disciplinary team of 10 engineers, designers, workplace anthropologists, and strategic planners who worked in small, teams to serve business unit clients.
- Managed a pipeline of opportunities with an aggregate value of $100M in recurring revenue.
- Engaged directly with business unit leaders to identify and focus strategic opportunities.
- Selected as a member of the Global Integrated Strategy Team, a task group that developed a long-term company-wide growth strategy. Reported interim results and the final proposal to the
- CEO and executive management team.
- Member of the R&D management team, reporting to the VP of R&D.
Engineer / Sr. Engineer / Manager – Secure Systems
Pitney Bowes, Advanced Concepts & Technology, September 1993 – August 2000
The Advanced Concepts & Technology function at Pitney Bowes focused on leading-edge technology and early-stage product concepts to support the global business. As a technical contributor I focused on security-related solutions, developing advanced payment and digital authentication techniques. As a manager, I initiated a new functional organization focused on integrated systems security.
- Implemented advanced machine vision solutions to validate postage on envelopes a packages. This technology drove the adoption and launch of the first digital postage meter, used to secure over $1B in annual postage funds.
- Created, staffed and managed an IT security research organization responsible for R&D strategy and advanced technology support for systems-level security topics for the global organization.
- Developed and demonstrated an advanced micro-payment technology, secured commitment of $5M in funding from external investors.
- Managed the FIPS 140 certification submission process for secure software products.
- Reported to the Director of Security Technology.
- Summer intern at the NASA Langley Research Center. Responsible for developing software for camera calibration to be used in autonomous assembly of structures in space. (1992)
- Undergraduate and Graduate researcher at the Center for Integrated Robotic Systems for Space Exploration (CIRSSE). Developed 3D image capture and visualization to aid in robotic assembly of large structures. (1990-1993)
- Technician at ABC Television’s NYC studio. Responsible for trouble shooting and repair of broadcast video equipment. (1989)
Education and Awards
- Master of Management and Technology, R&D Management – Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute,1997
- Master of Science, Electrical Engineering – Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1993
- Bachelor of Science , Electrical Engineering – Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1992
- Eta Kappa Nu and Tau Beta Pi, National Engineering Honor Society member
- Inventor on 25 US patents
Public Speaking and Presentations
Frequently invited to speak as a subject matter expert on security technology, connected vehicle systems, and corporate innovation. Selected speaking engagements include:
- Intelligent Transportation Systems World Congress, Copenhagen, 2018
- Intelligent Transportation Systems America, Detroit, 2018
- Embedded World, Nuremberg, 2018
- Intelligent Transportation Systems World Congress, Montreal, 2017
- Embedded Security in Cars (ESCAR-Asia), Tokyo, 2017
- Automotive Parts Manufacturer’s Association (APMA), Windsor, 2016
- 4th ETSI/IQC Workshop on Quantum-Safe Cryptography, Toronto, 2016
- CloudExpo East, New York, 2016
- Intelligent Cryptographic Module Conference, Montreal, 2016